A Common Question.

Something about anything goes here.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

A Common Question.

Post by eXg. focus »

So, a lot of you (myself included), have been wondering.. "What's the next big thing?".
Well, I know that many of you are looking forward to Unreal 3, and I know that many of you are looking forward to Crysis and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars as well.

What I am personally looking forward to the most are of course Quake: Zero, and Quake 5 (title ytbd).

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80815

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6176202.ht ... es;title;3

These are what my main focus is on as far as upcoming releases, and if any of you come across any information about these please share.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

Quake: Arena 2?

Sexy :D

It'll be a bit before it's out though, so either way I still think ut3 may end up being the next thing. Can't rule out PK2 either
eXg. Suyko
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Suyko »

Well I doubt eXg. will be into it, but I cant wait until Gran Turismo 5 comes out....wipes drool off chin :)
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

i also doubt that eXg will be into this 1, but Bioshock is making me horny. haha :D :shock: :D supreme commander:ultimate alliance will be nice.
also, i hope eXg pics up gears of war for the PC
or how bout half life 2: episode 2
brothers in arms: hells highway
the next company of heroes will be sexy
medal of honor airborne

BUT ABOVE ALL!! I CANT WAIT FOR DORA THE EXPLORER:CANDLYLAND
:D :D :D :D :D

yeh
lots of games
i doubt eXg will pick up any of them :(
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

No worries, I'm gonna be on BioShock like a rabid dog!

I don't know if UT3 will even be out before the Q:0 effort, because it's essentially already a completed game, just getting ported for a web browser. My main concern there is that it's FF compatible, 'cause i'm not going to IE even for Quake! lol

Suyko, if it comes out for PC I'll play GT5. I already wear the eXg. tag in TrackManiaNations.

And Matt, I know that both Frag and myself are prepping for PK:OD. But it'll essentially be just an expansion pack style release, not an actual sequel, to the best of my knowledge anyway. I could be mistaken.
(which may actually be for the best, all things considered.)
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

eXg. f0cus wrote:No worries, I'm gonna be on BioShock like a rabid dog!

I don't know if UT3 will even be out before the Q:0 effort, because it's essentially already a completed game, just getting ported for a web browser. My main concern there is that it's FF compatible, 'cause i'm not going to IE even for Quake! lol

Suyko, if it comes out for PC I'll play GT5. I already wear the eXg. tag in TrackManiaNations.

And Matt, I know that both Frag and myself are prepping for PK:OD. But it'll essentially be just an expansion pack style release, not an actual sequel, to the best of my knowledge anyway. I could be mistaken.
(which may actually be for the best, all things considered.)
Bioshock doesn't even have multiplayer :?

oo yea, I know Quake zero will come out around the same time I meant the new tba quake arena sequal (Quake 5)... glad to hear they're making a mp focused one again.

Q4 has pretty much destroyed the 1v1 community, too many early problems and it scared off half the players. The entire dual community was split to q4 and cpma. Once cpl dropped q4 they picked up q3 again, only to drop the whole series all-together... then wsvg came along and picked up q4 again. Needless to say, it's been a bumpy road. The dual community was small enough as it was.

tbh, as much as I hate UT movement compared to that of the Quake series and even though I think the Quake games are far more interesting to watch in competition and are more fun to play I'm hoping that the new UT will be picked up as the next dual came. Simply because, the UT series has a far larger casual gamer fanbase. As long as competitive mods are released quickly, a good dual mode and some 1v1 maps, I think the game has the potential to bring a whole slew of new players to the dueling genre and really bring 1v1 fps to the plate. As of right now, most video game competition is coming from a bunch of xbox 360 games in cpl, eswc and wsvg. Not that these games don't take skill, because they do, but most of them are not built for competition and I think if the community were larger 1v1 pc fps could become much larger and more respected than say 1v1 fear on the xbox 360 *cough cpl*.

You'll still see many players argue that the community is a fine size right now and you wouldn't want more players. Well, it's nice being able to know everyone and have a bunch of good, mature players. But without the fanbase and community support there's no room for it to grow, it's not going to just happen... there needs to be more community backing.

I also think a lot of what's holding fps dueling back is players' reluctance to advance into the new dueling game, if more q3 and d3 players were to have moved into q4 the backing would be there and I think the game would have grown more... obviously at the same time, it's not really fair to force people into a game. This is the only problem I can see with the next UT, I don't think a lot of quake players will want to play it (strafe jumping is too leet!)

I think there's a pretty strong chance that if UT 3 were to be picked up it would benefit the entire dueling community, build it up, and have a much more competitive and renowned genre for whenever the next Quake game is released, or Severity or whatever else comes afterwards.

Similarly I think we're going to see a huge boost in rts 1v1 with the release of starcraft 2 which will really help out that area as well. I see the next few months as more of a potential for a fresh start and a chance to establish the building blocks for the future of esports... though none of these games may be the best suited for competition they will be a start to build up fanbases and a larger community hopefully leading to the emergence of eSports as something taken as seriously as the sports millions of people watch from home everyday.

Kind of went a bit off-topic, but in truth, it's what I'm looking forward to. Outside of the dueling community itself, very few people (even fellow gamers) know much of competitive 1v1 fps...but once they can sort of see what they're missing I'm thinking duelers will start getting the respect they deserve as professional "cyberathletes" for putting all the time and practice into games that are built to be played competitively.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

heheh, I almost got a sense of Deja Vu when reading this post Matt. It's alot like Carmac's post found here

http://wire.ggl.com/2007/08/10/educate-them-stupid/

and that very article is discussed between the author and the community here

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1430348

and it's really kind of the same tune, and I agree wholeheartedly.

I must say, however, and this is not at all to be argumentative...
Quake 3, which still has a very large fanbase AND playerbase (yes, I'm regarding them separately), went through a couple of years of patches just like Q4 has. Somehow the majority of the community has overlooked this.

Granted, it was over-all more playable out of the box than Q4 was (according to most people), but it still had a long way to go before it got to the iteration that it is in today. Even CPMA, arguably the most used mod for tourneys (beit with CPMA physics or VQ3 physics) has been updated as recently as July of '07. (last month.)
On the same subject, EZ-Quake, in my opinion a breath of fresh air for the QuakeWorld community, is still getting tweaked as recently as May of '07, and that was originally released in June '96. Eleven years ago. And you can still find multiple active servers any time of day or night.
My point here being that it's not so much that the duelers aren't there, it's the job of getting everyone on the same boat that is the problem. I know that I, for example, will not play UT3 as a serious game. It's just never been my style, having played a bit of UT2k4 for a brief period around the same time I was getting into Quake 4, which would be... April of last year I believe, I know it's just not a game to my taste.
Now, as a newcomer to the competitive FPS scene, I'm aware that there will be genres and styles that will come and go, and many of which will be gone forever. It's saddening, but this is what is diluting the community more than anything else.
If the Quakers from the previous 3 Quakes all hopped in to 1.4.2 Q4/ Q4max .78d, we'd have us a community that would likely rival the lower learning curve games that so many more casual players enjoy, but with the powerful edge of having a decade of experience on them.

One thing I'm strongly considering is starting up a noobs only server for Q4, to keep the more experienced players from driving the newcomers over into other games, because that's really what's happening all the time.
I'd have someone set up as an admin, with the ability to warn/kick/ban players that were disrespectful of the noob server rules. Basically it has nothing to do with how long you've played, but if you're just cleaning up on a whole server then you're probably ruining the fun of the 2nd 3rd and 4th place players who were having an exciting close game before the more experienced player came in. In this way, they can graduate to other public FFA servers when they feel they are ready. More servers run with this style would help to encourage new players to learn at their own pace, because lets face it, not everyone is playing to get really good, and should NOT be punished for that. It's a game that needs more players, it doesn't necessarily need more pro's. (although, logic would dictate that one would of course compliment the other and it will not carry the eXg tag, as it will obviously not be geared towards extreme gamers.)

There is a very real issue with console gaming getting in the way of where PC gaming should be. Ultimately I'd prefer more than anything that this eSports scene involve all platforms and genre's mutually, but if I have to choose a side then you can bet I won't be straddling the fence, nor will I go back to thumb and index controlling. And if it takes Unreal3 to get that job done, then I've got open arms for it.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

Fair enough! Agreed on all points you made. And thanks for the links too.

Also I'm pretty sure my day just got 99999999999x better..

read this interview!
http://www.gameriot.com/news/4135/New-Q ... s-and-More

Restored hope!!! /sodamnexcited!
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Oh good. There's the main link I was talking about sharing if it was found! I couldn't remember where I'd read it lol

Thanks Matt!
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

jesus.
matt and focus, 100000000 words between them :D
eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

They should make quake 3 on a shiny graffix engine :D
ImageImageImageImage
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. Man0waR wrote:They should make quake 3 on a shiny graffix engine :D
lol there you go with that again.

:roll: :roll:
eXg. Shedao Shai
Counter-Strike Source

Post by eXg. Shedao Shai »

didn't they already make that... ohh wait here goes quake 3 on a shiny graffix engine :P

Quake 3 shiny!
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

i know they did a doom remake in shiny mode... d3 :)
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Have you ever maxed out res and texture settings in Quake3? I've played THE benchmark games for graphics, and I have to say that Quake3 is still a very pretty game even after all this time.

you're so noob

Return to “General Public Chat”